Monday, July 23, 2012

Without closure.

We are a generation without closure.

Remember the Shaider and Mask Man series, ending abruptly without the last four or five episodes. Who could forget Visionaries: The Knights of the Magical Light. The cartoon series famed for its varied characters who can turn into specific animals. Suddenly, PTV4 decided to completely strip it off of its air time. The same goes for G.I. Joe, Sesame Street, and even its local counterpart Batibot. We were (or at least, I am) deprived of knowing whether or not Kuya Bodgie and Ate Sheena tied the proverbial knot. Did Kiko Matsing and Pong Pagong become lovers? The list of shows that was removed without any tinge of warning was numerous that I forgot half of them.

The Law of Closure.
Did you not wonder if this situation has immensely affected our thinking and way of life? I know a lot of my friends (myself, included) would be eagerly enthusiastic about something, but walks out, half-way through. We cant even sustain the initial enthusiasm for a couple of minutes, but wants to be involved in the next best thing. And I'm not even referring to the Kardashian-Humphriess marriage.

Think of it this way: The television, being a very powerful medium, exerts an almost invisible influence, which perpetually shapes our needs, wants, desires, and even our way of life. Imagine the television telling you that one toothpaste is better than the other. In the end, when you go to the supermarket, you would definitely buy the toothpaste that made an impact, or showed a whiter set of teeth. I won’t go into the Psychology of Advertising or Television because I am not in any way an authority.

Growing up when TV shows died before even reaching its natural death might have stunted our thought process. We the twenty-somethings of today are trapped in a world that had us at beginnings, but failed to usher us on to the end. If that didnt hurt you in any way imaginable; then good for you.

We are a generation without closure, and sometimes, we still wonder why things tend to be fucked up.

1 comment: