Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Spiderman gives GEEKS a good name.


I have to admit it, but Andrew Garfield’s take is way better than Tobey Maguire’s.

Not too keen on the mask's design though.
Spiderman is Stan Lee’s glorified take on every Science nerd/misunderstood average geek who only wants to be heard. I thought when Tobey accepted the role in 2002, he is a miscast because he looks more of a regular hockey player than a Science geek. Ten years later, and thanks to Garfield, Spiderman would be revisited with an actor fit for the character.

I am a comic book collector/avid reader since the age of 8; therefore I take it with great aversion when the characters I grow to love in comic books fail miserably in any movie adaptation. Some contend that the comic book characters are very fluid and may take an ample amount of twitching to suit the viewers' preference. But, would that process make it completely self-serving if the director/producer would only get the famous title or character, but not the attendant personality?

The death of Gwen Stacey.
In any case, I only have admiration for everybody in this Spiderman movie. Garfield is perfect for the Spidey role, and Gwen Stacey is a character on her own. Emma Stone gives Kirsten Dunst a run for her money. In the comic books, Stacey died before she was even granted a personae or character. This is one of those rare moments when you have to praise the movie director/producers for extending the life of a comic character and making her more relatable. Which makes me realize that Peter’s one true love is probably Gwen and not MJ.

Characters here are more real than mundane, more in tune with reality rather than being way too larger than life. My only regret in this movie is the villain, Dr. Curt Connors played by Rhys Ifans. I thought that The Lizard’s story was way too forced. Biological warfare to turn everyone into a Lizard. C’mon, are we talking about the problems of the US now?

Still, I give it four popcorns out of five. And I can’t wait for its sequel and how they will show the death of Gwen Stacey.

No comments:

Post a Comment