When the world was younger, I vividly
remembered that I didn’t like the idea of being fetched from school. Instead, I would walk
the seemingly unending pavement from the school to our house. It only took fifteen
minutes on a regular pace, but it seemed to stretch forever. Laden with Acacia
trees, I would count each tree everyday thinking that one day they might be gone. I would always bring a trusty stick to fend off stray dogs, while sipping my sago-gulaman.
There were times when my mom would scold me at dinner since the driver or Ate would patiently wait in front of the school gate only to realize that I was already at home. There were no cellular phones at that time so it was quite a tedious task.
There were times when my mom would scold me at dinner since the driver or Ate would patiently wait in front of the school gate only to realize that I was already at home. There were no cellular phones at that time so it was quite a tedious task.
Growing up, I realized that
walking became handy during Boy Scout jamborees, medical missions, and outreach
projects, which required patience, endurance, and an obvious inclination for long
strides. The path was oftentimes laden with steep rocks, muddy pits, and
everything else in between. But my love for walking has only intensified my
curiosity on what lies at the end of the road. At times, I was disappointed, but for most times, I was quite amazed.
I have imbibed the
habit of walking until now. I can walk long distances without complaining. Back in college, I would from walk from Taft Avenue
all the way to Luneta Park, and sit on one of the benches and cautiously look
at passers-by, vendors (both legitimate and illegitimate), and family members
who would go there to kill time. I would walk, sometimes, all the way into the dimly
lit corners of Recto and Carriedo, not knowing what to expect. It was in early
2000s, and everything felt different.
I never told any of my friends
back then for fear of being scolded on the risk of my activities. They would
probably not understand why I would walk long distances going nowhere, sit on
benches, and talk to random strangers. But
I realized that life is not (and should not be) confined within the gates of
the academe. Walking has taught me, albeit indirectly, that life is a never-ending, strange-looking pathway where randomness
is best magnified through the road less traveled, and where every crossroad is an opportunity waiting to be discovered.
Walking shows life in bits and
pieces. There is an ample illustration of poverty and wealth, inequality and goodness,
faith and fate, and love and bitterness. The streets mirror life’s greatest
joys and its misplaced anguish. It showed (and still shows) the government’s inefficiency and the
people’s stubbornness. The street is a collection of the best and the worst
that one could expect.
Whenever I go back to the
province, I still do my leisure walks. The previous unending stretch from school to our home now only takes a few
strides. On my way home, I still count the old, unyielding Acacia trees in awe that time had been kind to them.
I still love to walk. I guess certain things never change.
I still love to walk. I guess certain things never change.
I do love walking especially during nighttime. Past the blank faces of your fellow walkers, past the scenes staring back at you, past the cursing pavement that leads to ways known and unknown - it's liberating; amplifying that purpose to which we're here for.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I need to meditate on things, I go for long walks. Nasanay na rin ako dito sa Florence. Hindi rin kasi puedeng dumaan ang mga sasakyan sa city centre so I would walk from my house to the Cathedral. It helps me think things through.
ReplyDeleteIn a time when tricycles and other forms of transportation is useful and walking is the most absurd thing to do, I go for long walks and I'm very proud of it. Para maiba naman kasi.
Kapag nasanay ka na, you'll be ready to travel, especially sa mga European cities where most of the time you will have to walk. Kaya naiinis ako dun sa mga naging travelling companions ko na nagrereklamo dahil madaming lakarin. One time, iniiwan ko talaga sila hanggang sa mawala sila. Nakakainis eh. We're travelling and it's obvious that we will be going for long walks tapos magsasabi na ayaw na nila! bad trip!
Hi Anonymous: If you are who I think you are, let it be said that you are sorely missed by a lot of people. Sending Good Vibes. :)
ReplyDeleteWe walk because we miss ourselves..
ReplyDelete