The year was 2000,
and I was sixteen.
I was naïve,
probably brought about by sixteen years of living in a remote town in the
island. So when I was thrown into Manila to study, I felt unbridled freedom.
Idle time meant
going out of my condo and touring places I have never been to. I love commuting
in trains. Every now and then, I would stop at odd places, and I would familiarize
myself with the area. On one ordinary day, I alighted at Carriedo station.
Rizal Avenue
was different during that time. It was fraught with old forgotten movie houses
that reek decay and nostalgia. While most movie houses showed Tagalog ST
movies, there was a peculiar movie house that offered a foreign film. The movie
was Giuseppe Tornatore’s Malena starring the eternally beautiful Monica Bellucci.
I paid 50 Pesos.
On the way to
the Balcony, I saw a dozen or so men outside the theater. I thought that the
movie had just ended and they were waiting for it to start. When I entered, the
movie was actually playing. Back then, I was too young to comprehend the meaning of situations. I took things as they were, not realizing that some were hiding on subliminal tones, calculated gestures, and silent feats.
![]() |
| Malena. Screenshot grabbed from http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1526076h |
I entered at the
scene where Malena was walking and the young kids were following her on their
bikes. I realized how lovely Malena was. I never even knew who she was at that
time, but for me, she represented perfection.
When my vision
adjusted, I realized that some people were doing things that were
extraordinarily adventurous, if not callous. Soft porn on the screen, and real porn inside the cinema.
The free porn, however, did not distract me from Malena’s story. It was moving, beautiful, frightful, and exhilarating all at the same time. Told from
Renato’s eyes, the story followed the life of a young woman who was cursed for
her beauty.
I had never seen
those types of movies in the province: the indie-type genre with English subtitles. We were mostly distracted by a throng of Filipino
movies, which were either “titillating” or run-of-the-mill stories. The movie
made me realize human frailties, mostly attributed to a general lack of
understanding of things and circumstances. In this movie, the women saw Malena’s beauty as a threat to
their usual, insipid lives and gave them an excuse to act violently. The movie indirectly slapped me with basic tenets of reality. For instance, some people will treat you unjustly for no apparent reason other
than their own fear or insecurity. Or that, man is naturally insatiable, in his desire, wants, needs, and even with his longing.
In the middle
of orgasms and strange rhythms, I was smacked with thoughts of life’s
complexities, insecurities, fear, and love. I realized that life in general will always go on, and in the process, you might have to completely change your lifestyle, perspective, or
attitude to survive. In the end, you may or may not achieve your initial plans
or goals, but you might end up living for another day.
Before, the
credits rolled, someone approached me and started caressing my thigh. I said
that I went to the cinema just to watch a movie. He told me, “Masyado ka
namang disente para dito.” (You are too upright to be here.)
I smiled
and left.

Never been inside seedy cinemas. I wonder how my reaction would be if I were in your shoes. :/
ReplyDelete