Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sign.

A friend from law school who is a senior manager in a head-hunting firm recommended me for a Business Development Manager post in a multinational company. It seems that the company needs a lawyer who will interact with other lawyers/managers in foreign jurisdictions. I will be in charge of the Banking, Finance, and Equity division of the firm.

When my friend tossed my resume to the firm, I told her that I am not looking for a job. I love my job and I love the perks I get with it. I get to travel to Australia or New Zealand for free. I get to attend international seminars on legal developments. And I get to travel with my boss and our other staff. That alone is a big thing.

The second consideration is my plan of taking up MBA at AIM. It’s a few meters away from my work, and it will be very convenient to take up my master’s there. Though I have to shell out roughly 1.5M for a 20-month study. It’s quite pricey, but the education that I will be getting will be a good leverage in the future.

Then goes the offer.

The initial offer for the salary is twice my current rate. If that alone is not tempting, the perks of traveling to London and UK twice a year is. I’m then thrown into the muddle of self-doubt of what I really want at the moment. At the one hand, there is a comfortable job with a good pay with good people. On the other, a new opportunity awaits. The fact that the would-be boss is a friend is also an interesting twist.

So, at the end of the day, I will play it by the ear. Listen to what other benefits and what plan the new company may have for me, in terms of career growth and personal development. From there, I might just cross the bridge when I literally get there.

While waiting and letting my Id and Superego deliberate on things, it would not hurt to wait for a sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment